Preston Edwards

REPORT | Dulwich Hamlet vs Lewes

  • Competition: Isthmian Premier League

In a game of few clear-cut chances, the visitors took theirs to progress to the second round of the FA Trophy, defeating Dulwich in front of a crowd of 2,745.

Lewes opened the scoring in the 11th minute. A corner was delivered to the back post, which ex-Hamlet man Ronnie Vint nodded back across the goal. Preston Edwards – making his first appearance in his second spell at Dulwich – produced a fantastic save to deny Tommy Wood, but the rebound fell to Bradley Pritchard, who made no mistake from six yards out.

Seven minutes before half-time the away side doubled their lead. Good work from Deon Moore freed Harvey Hughes down the left flank. The full-back had the freedom of Champion Hill and picked out Wood with his cross. The number nine took a touch to steady himself, before firing high and hard into the roof of the net, giving Edwards no chance.

All of Dulwich’s best chances in the first half fell to the impressive Luke Wanadio, who had a fine game and was a constant threat. In the 26th minute, Hamlet patiently worked the ball down the right. Krasniqi and Wanadio combined on the edge of the box, Wanadio spun his marker, before unleashing a shot that cannoned off the crossbar.

Then, in the 43rd minute, Clifton showed good strength to outmuscle his marker in the left-hand corner of the penalty area. The striker got his head up and rolled the ball across the box to Wanadio. He met it first time but his side-footed finish from 12 yards flashed agonisingly wide.

Whilst the visitors had been the better side in the first half, with chances also falling to Deon Moore, Ola Ogunwamide and Chris Whelpdale, a two-goal lead did slightly flatter them.

Unlike in the last home game against Kingstonian, there were no half-time changes from Hakan Hayrettin. Before the hour he had seen enough though and called for reinforcements from the bench, bringing on Mills and Jeffrey for Bonnett-Johnson and Clifton. It was still Wanadio who was looking most likely to do something for Dulwich and in the 59th minute an attacking thrust from the winger was ended with a foul in a good position.

Jerome Binnom-Williams was the man who stood over the ball, 25-yards out near the middle of the D. His effort was a beauty. Nathan Harvey was nowhere near it, but the post denied Dulwich a route back into the match.

The next 15 minutes were dominated by Lewes with Moore, who was giving Scarlett a torrid time, heading just wide and firing in a fierce drive, which Edwards tipped over the bar. In the final 15 minutes, the tide once again turned in the Hamlet’s favour. Jeffrey fired two shots off target, Ayuk was denied by a brilliant block and Mills rose highest to meet a cross but could only head wide. In the end, Dulwich simply ran out of time, and it’s Lewes who progress to the second round.

Dulwich are next in action on Wednesday, when we travel to Tooting to face Kingstonian in the League Cup and we return to league action on Saturday 4th November with a trip to Haringey.

Dulwich Hamlet Line-Up:

1 Preston Edwards, 2 Miquel Scarlett (Craig Braham-Barrett 80’), 5 Michael Chambers, 7 Luke Wanadio, 8 Ryley Scott, 12 Sean Bonnett-Johnson (Anthony Jeffrey 58’), 14 Adrian Clifton (Danny Mills 58’), 15 Kreshnic Krasniqi, 16 Ayuk Tarh, 18 Jerome Binnom-Williams, 20 Manny Parry

Unused Substitutes:, Mark Ricketts, Alfie Allen, Will Lakin, Elliott Romain

Yellow Cards: Binnom-Williams (48’), Luke Wanadio (65’)

Lewes Line-Up

1 Nathan Harvey, 2 Jake Elliott, 3 Harvey Hughes, 4 Archie Tamplin, 5 Ronnie Vint, 6 Arthur Penney, 9 Tommy Wood, 10 Ola Ogunwamide (Kalvin Kalala 71’), 11 Chris Whelpdale, 14 Deon Moore, 18 Bradley Pritchard (Alfie Egan 90’)

Unused Substitutes: 16 Archie Panyi, 17 Deshane Dalling, 20 Will Salmon

Goalscorers: Bradley Pritchard (11'), Tommy Wood (38')

Yellow Cards: Ola Ogunwamide (54’), Ronnie Vint (74’)



Champion Hill Stadium,
Edgar Kail Way,
East Dulwich,
SE22 8BD.


Privacy Policy
Cookie Policy

Follow us